AUGUSTINE PUBLIC LIBRARY
history and evolution of the San Augustine Public Library
1970, members of the Women's Service League began a campaign to open
a public library in San Augustine County. The San Augustine Public
Library was established in 1971 through local community efforts.
previous effort in the 1950's resulted in a short-lived volunteer
library located in the basement of the local Masonic Hall. Appeals
from the Women's Service League led to the City and County applying
for and receiving grants from the Library Services Construction Act,
a federal program available at the time.
these funds, along with individual donations, the Service League
rented the old Iona Hotel, the former home of Emmett and Ima Owen and
began establishing the library.
1975, the building was purchased by the City of San Augustine with
proceeds from parking meters. The library has remained at that
convenient, visible location on the corner of Columbia and Ayish Streets.
2001 the library underwent a complete modernization and enlargement
project. A much larger building and computerization of the Card
Catalogs helps patrons of the Library find what they are looking for
with ease and the Card Catalog can now be accessed Online. The link
extra room lends comfort to browse and read. And room for a greatly
increased book inventory and a section for 8 adult computer stations.
report errors or dead links